Mel's Healing Pilgrimage 2016

Links to the Camino de Santiago pilgrimages are on the navigation links to the right of the web page.


Friday, September 5, 2014

Camino de Santiago - This Pilgrim's Prayers (Preparing #10)

Celtic prayers while
sitting in the center of Iona Abbey, Scotland
on the longest day of the year: June, 2013
In my last blog entry, I talked about the people and places that are on my prayer list during my walk along the Camino de Santiago. Of course, I'll be praying with specific thoughts of love and peace specific for each situation. I'll also be praying in a general manner, with set prayers that ring true to me and, by binding me to God, set me free.

I'll start with the classic Pilgrim's prayer. This prayer goes back almost 900 years. It's almost certain that St Francis walked the Camino with this prayer upon his lips.

Pilgrim’s Prayer / Codex Calixtinus – 12th Century
God, You called your servant Abraham from Ur in Chaldea,
watching over him in all his wanderings,
and guided the Hebrew people as they crossed the desert.

Guard these your children who, for love of your Name, make a pilgrimage to Compostela. 
Be their companion on the way,
their guide at the crossroads,
their strength in weariness,
their defense in dangers,
their shelter on the path,
their shade in the heat,
their light in darkness,
their comfort in discouragement,
and the firmness of their intentions,
that through your guidance they may arrive safely at the end of their journey
and, enriched with grace and virtue,
may return to their homes filled with salutary and lasting joy.



In addition to this standard prayer, I have compiled a list of prayers that will spring from my lips every morning. Some are words alone. Some are lyrics to hymns that serve as prayers in and of themselves. I'll recite them every morning on my walk. I imagine that they will give me strength and fortify me against adversity.


Prayer attributed to St Patrick
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
May the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again
may God hold you in the palm of Her hand.


Prayer attributed to St Francis
Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace;
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is discord, harmony;
Where there is error, truth;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
Grant that we may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are brought back to eternal life.




Blue Green Hills of Earth
For the earth forever turning,
For the land, for skies and sea,
To our Source we sing returning
Home to our blue green hills of earth.
For the mountains, hills and pastures
In their silent majesty
For the stars, for all the heavens
Sing we our joyful praise to Thee.
For the sun, for rain and thunder,
For the seasons’ harmony,
For our lives, for all creation
Sing we our joyful praise to Thee.
For the earth forever turning,
For the land which gave us birth,
To our Source we sing returning
Home to the blue green hills of earth.

Somos un pueblo que camina

We are people on a journey
pain is with us all the way
acudamos jubilosos a la santa comunión. 
God has sent the invitation
to the humble and the poor.
acudamos jubilosos a la santa comunión. 
This is bread that God provides us
nourishing our unity.
acudamos jubilosos a la santa comunión. 
Christ is ever present with us
to unite us all in love.
acudamos jubilosos a la santa comunión. 
All who truly thirst for justice
seek their liberation here.
acudamos jubilosos a la santa comunión.

With gratitude and humble trust
As saints of old their first fruits brought
of orchard, flock, and field
to God the giver of all good,
the source of bounteous yield;
so we today first fruits would bring:
the wealth of this good land,
of farm and market, shop and home,
of mind, and heart, and hand.

A world in need now summons us
to labor, love, and give;
to make our life an offering
that others too may live.
The Church of Christ is calling us
to make the dream come true:
a world redeemed, your kingdom come,
all life in Christ made new.

With gratitude and humble trust
we bring our best today,
to serve your cause and share your love
with all humanity.
O God, who gave yourself to us
in Jesus Christ your Son,
teach us to give ourselves each day
until life's work is done.


Take my life and let it be
Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
*Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in endless praise.

Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.

Take my voice and let me sing,
Always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.

Take my silver and my gold,
Not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use
Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.

Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own,
It shall be Thy royal throne.

Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee


Day by Day
Day by day, dear Lord of Thee three things I pray
To see the more clearly
Love thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly
Day by day

God be in my Head
God be in my Head and in My understanding
God be in mine eyes and in my looking
God be in my mouth and in my speaking
God be in my heart and in my thinking
God be at mine end and at my departing

Guide Me O Though Great Redeemer
Guide me, O thou great redeemer,Pilgrim through this barren land;I am weak, but thou art mighty,Hold me with thy powerful hand;Bread of heaven, bread of heavenFeed me till I want no more;Feed me till I want no more. 
Open now the crystal fountainWhence the healing stream doth flow;Let the fire and cloudy pillarLead me all my journey through:Strong deliverer, strong deliverer;Be thou still my strength and shield;Be thou still my strength and shield. 
When I tread the verge of Jordan,Bid my anxious fears subside;Death of death, and hell's destructionLand me safe on Canaan's side:Songs of praises, songs of praises,I will ever give to thee;I will ever give to thee.

Santo Santo Santo
Santo, santo, santo
Mi corazón te adora
Mi corazón sabe decir
Santo eres Senor

Seek Ye First
Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God
And His righteousness
And all these things shall be added unto you
Allelu Alleluia
Man shall not live by bread alone
But by every word
That proceeds from the mouth of God
Allelu Alleluia
Ask and it shall be given unto you
Seek and ye shall find
Knock and the door shall be opened unto you
Allelu Alleluia


An Apache prayer
May the sun bring you energy by day
May the moon softly restore you by night
May the rain wash away your worries
May the breeze blow new strength into your being
May you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life



Thank you and bless you for joining me on this transformational journey.

I leave Los Angeles on September 10 and land in Spain September 11.



Please walk with me by donating to Episcopal Relief and Development


Subscribe to the "Let All Who Are Thirsty Come" blog.

Prior blog postings regarding the the Camino
Camino de Santiago - Introduction (Preparing #1)

No comments :

Post a Comment